Dennis Norgard says the ITS department had specific requirements when looking for the right solution, with core functionality to manage up to 2,500 devices a must.
The solution needed to provide a number of services, including:
- Image deployment
- Software distribution
- Patch management
- Settings management
- Remote control
- A self-service application portal
- Outsourced Casper Suite infrastructure support
- Configuration of all the above services, as well as migration of existing university content where appropriate
- Development of OS X Mountain Lion Mac Managed Operating Environment (MOE)
- Development of technical migration artefacts to facilitate bulk migration of existing university Macs from OS X 10.4-10.7 to the new MOE
And according to Dennis, CompNow was able to provide the experience and expertise to make these objectives a reality.
“Our strategy was always to look for a credible, experienced Mac/Casper supplier and development partner,” he states.
“They were the only credible company operating in Melbourne in the relevant technical space.”
The Casper Suite configuration threw up a number of technical challenges, due in part to the complexity of the university’s network infrastructure and the large-scale nature of the project.
“However, the challenges were overcome with solid work ethic and contributions from everyone on the team,” he says.
“We have an outstandingly successful Casper installation – the functionality of which is the envy of our Windows users!”
Dennis confirms that not only have the original objectives of the project been achieved, the upgrade has saved significant time, money and resources.