It only takes one compromised computer within a network to create major security problems for all users in that network.
Ensure you take basic steps to secure your environment, whether you are in an educational institution or running a business that requires interaction with your customers.
Steps Towards Better Computer Security
- Protect yourself from malware and viruses by installing a good antivirus solution, and remember to keep it regularly updated from the vendor
- Turn on your Operating System Firewall, and if you are working cooperatively (i.e. sharing files & data) ensure that your network accesses the internet via a reputable Firewall appliance or security provider
- Regularly change your passwords. Use a tool to maintain and update your passwords to make it easier to have different & complex passwords, rather than using one or two passwords for all your systems
- Use licensed software to ensure that you are operating in a secure fashion.
- Note: One of the most common entry points into a network is by the use of ‘free’ software downloads. While these appear to be regular software, they can have malware (both active or dormant) embedded inside them.
- While you are travelling, remember to turn off your Wi-Fi when you are not using it.
- Note: Use ‘free’ Wi-Fi hotspots with caution, as these can also be a source of problems such as location tracking or web browser compromise. If your computer security software has the ability to monitor and secure Wi-Fi access remember to turn these features on, especially when travelling overseas.
- Turn Bluetooth off when you’re not using it. Bluetooth might make it easy to use your wireless headphones, but it also compromises your computer and network security.
Learn More Computer Security Best Practises
Speak to CompNow if you want us to review your security setup. Whether it is anti-virus software, network or firewall appliances, secure Wi-Fi or just adopting to the best computer security recommendations, we are here to help.