BYOD Programs for Schools
BYOD, or Bring Your Own Device, is a program where students are allowed to use their own devices, such as smartphones and laptops. In schools, this can provide a unique interactive experience and expose students to concepts like gamification and accelerated development. By allowing students to use their own devices, they are more likely to be engaged and develop at a faster pace.
Talk To Us About Bring Your Own Device Solutions
Call 1300 COMPNOW or get in touch online to discuss the BYOD options we offer. Our experienced team of experts will help determine the most suitable and cost-effective BYOD management solution for your school.
We have recently expanded our BYO teams for weekend availability to better assist staff and parents in ordering equipment for students. See our free and easily customised BYOD student portals for more information.
BYOD Portal Demonstration and Implementation
To successfully implement a BYOD policy, it is important to consider the following steps:
- Specify which devices are permitted. This will help ensure that only devices that are compatible with the school network are used.
- Identify the preferred platform and generations that the network can support. This information will be important for both teachers and students when choosing which devices to use.
- Review the school’s Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) to ensure that it establishes parameters for working on the school’s network. This step is important to prevent any misuse of the network by students or teachers.
- Teach students how to be responsible users. This step is essential to ensure that students use their devices in a way that is respectful of others and in line with the school’s policies.
- Adopting a BYOD policy without preparing the teachers causes frustration and reluctance, not opportunity. To avoid this, it is important to provide teachers with the professional development they need to instruct and guide their students through productively using their devices.
Watch the adjacent video to learn how BYOD Portals can be tailored to your school to maximise student engagement.
BYOD in Schools
BYOD is a great system when it’s done right. It helps teachers provide lessons using collaborative learning, it helps parents easily order BYOD equipment, and schools benefit from a trusted technology partner.
CompNow BYOD purchasing portals are hosted and managed by us. We will personalise your portal with the solutions and products your school would like to include and you can also personalise them with the aesthetic of your school’s branding such as colours, logo and fonts. Benefits of BYOD programs in schools include:
- Devices are better looked after when they are owned by the user
- BYOD programs in schools enable schools to manage devices centrally
- Having students and staff all in one ecosystem ensures all student and teacher devices have the same software and systems in place to make teaching and learning easier
- Technology bundles make it easier for parents as they know they are getting everything their child needs in one transaction
- More cost-effective software, service and repair solutions
- There is less downtime with repairs and the process is made much easier for students, teachers and parents
- Training can be provided
View our Shenton Park College webinar to see a great example of the benefits of a BYOD program in schools.
Benefits for Schools
- Repair services included
- Warranty offerings
- Insurance options
- Australia-wide presence
- Stock available from our locally based warehouse
- Reduced admin costs
- Free set up and hosting
- Ability to view your school purchasing history & parent funded transactions
- Track device purchasing trends in real-time and ability to filter by date range for narrowing your search
- Ability to view the warranty & DEP status of all devices and device serial numbers so you can preload into your school’s system
Benefits for Parents
- Include multiple siblings in one purchase
- 24/7 access
- Online portal that is easy to use so you don’t need to go through the school
- Access to discounted education pricing
- Online chat support (available during business hours)
- Simple one-click checkout process with a credit card, direct debit or personal finance payment options
Other Pros and Cons
Pros – The rise of BYOD programs in schools delivers several benefits:
- Students learn to effectively engage in their classroom using the skills they’ll need in the workforce (in future)
- Teachers can engage students in the language that’s most meaningful to them
- The focus shifts from passive learning to active, creating learning experiences that last
Cons – The adoption of BYOD programs can be a challenge for teachers, particularly those with traditional teaching methods that rely heavily on paper and pens. It also requires careful management to keep students safe in the online environment. However, CompNow is here to help with a smooth transition to this technology.
Define. Design. Deliver.